Sunday, May 10, 2009

Troubles Are A Brewin' (Day 8-11)

Well, my bike got sick! Very sick!

While making some good progress on I-10 and on the verge of breaking my highest mileage in a day -- my rear derailleur went SNAP-CLANK-CLICK-ZIP-KA-PING! Suddenly, I found myself outside of the small town of Buckeye, AZ with an out-of-commission bicycle and feelings of despair. This became another opportunity to yell many curses loudly into the sky and at my bike.

I called the bike shop back in LA to tell them what happened and they seemed rather unsympathetic. Through the help of my friend Jeff, I was able to locate a bike shop about 16-17 miles away in the town of Goodyear. I called them up and they graciously came out to meet me at a nearby Burger King. After a brief inspection of my bike, they concluded I needed a new derailleur, cable, and a derailleur hanger -- which had to be special ordered.

So, I've been sitting on my ass for the last three days, waiting for the bike shop in LA to send the hanger to the bike shop here in Arizona.

See? This is the problem. When I have to rely on mechanical devices... they end up breaking. When I walked across the county, the only "mechanical device" I had to rely on was my backpack straps. That was about it.

Sigh!




So, over the last four days, I advanced about 110 miles -- totaling around 430 miles so far. CLICK HERE to study it up.

2 comments:

  1. Is it just me...or are you looking more insane than usual? Hang in there buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That font, the war drums...a little battlestar galactica influence on this episode! Thanks for sharing this adventure, it's interesting and funny.

    ReplyDelete