Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Crossing the Continental Divide (Day 20)

Before leaving the Arby's in Lordsburg yesterday, I asked the roast beef server behind the counter if there were any services off of I-10 in the 59-mile stretch to Deming. He told me there was the the Continental Divide Store in Separ, about 20 miles away... which also happens to be one of the oddball landmarks noted by Roadside America. Figuring it was my only place to get supplies, I got up this morning, went to the shop, and loaded up with their overpriced food and drinks. And because I was feeling rather quirky, I bought a bunch of fireworks as well. I didn't really get a good vibe at the store and wished I didn't have to give them so much of my precious money. But it was another hot day, and figured I needed to be properly supplied for the next 40 miles or so in the desert.

While taking my picture in front of the over-sized tepee next to the store, I met a pair of ladies who were on their way from Florida to Phoenix to start a new job. Along with them were two dogs and a cat. They seemed a little weirded out by my beard and my eagerness to talk to them, but became more amicable once I offered to take their picture in front of the large conical tent. I even got both dogs and the cat in the shot.

From Separ, I got back onto I-10 east. When consulting my maps earlier, I was originally planning on taking a frontage road that paralleled the freeway, but then I found out it was nothing but a bumpy dirt pathway. So, I continued on the busy interstate. I soon discovered something else -- there was another service station (along with a Dairy Queen) only 8 miles after Separ, and then another service station 6 miles after that. I wish I knew that before, otherwise, I wouldn't have spent a dime at that Continental Divide Store. And since I was already overloaded with overpriced potables, I didn't even stop at any of the other shops.



The end of the day brought me to the midsized town of Deming, which had a Kmart where I could finally get a spare tube for my trailer wheel. As I was getting back on my bike outside the store, I met an out-of-work carpenter out on his bike as well. He told me his birth name was Andrew, but now calls himself Drew. He explained that too many people back east used to call him Andy, which he hated and actually led to several altercations. So now, to avoid fist fights, he tells people his name is Drew. During the rest of our conversation, I kept mostly quiet and let him do all the talking, in fear of accidentally calling him by the wrong name.

After getting some food at the BK and some supplies at the Dollar Tree, I checked into a Motel 6 on the east side of town. I actually ended up having to switch rooms -- twice! -- because each one I went into had dirty floors and unmade beds. Finally, the third time was a charm! I actually entered a room that was cleaned and vacuumed and didn't have piles of used, pubic-hair-encrusted towels strewn in the bathroom. However, I think the maids are going to get a vicious tongue-lashing from the manager tomorrow, who was not so pleased with having to keep moving me around from room to room.



I biked a total of 44 miles -- another unimpressive distance, but one that is becoming the trend ever since I left Benson, AZ. This brings the grand total to 881.5 miles. CLICK HERE if you doubt me!

No comments:

Post a Comment