Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Thing? (Day 17)

Yes, after reading and hearing about it for days and days... I finally laid eyes on THE THING? The proliferation of billboards advertising the "Mystery of the Desert" certainly piqued my curiosity as I pedaled closer. The idea of this odd and mysterious "museum" nestled inside an old farm shed hearkened me back to the days of the 1960s. That was a time when tourist traps like this dotted the highways all across America, as families loaded their station wagons with Samsonite suitcases for their two-week vacation on the road. The constant barrage of brightly colored billboards advertising their modest attraction would help keep the kids focused on nagging their parents to pull over. And by the time they reached the much talked-about exit, mom and dad would be equally curious as well. How could they resist at that point?

So when I reached Exit 322, home to THE THING, I was struck with nostalgia and intrigue. The entrance to the "museum" reminded me of the sideshow attractions hidden away on some side alley in Coney Island. And the price was just right ... one dollar for adults and 75¢ for children!




It was hard to get an answer from the man behind the counter what exactly the "thing" is... even after going through the museum. But the only way you can even get a sense of what the "thing" is, is to drive or bike your way to Dragoon, AZ and see it for yourself.


It was a rather hot day today -- over 100 degrees -- and after going 12 miles of solid uphill action, I was mighty gross and sweaty. But, I felt ALIVE! I only biked 40 miles, but considering the heat, the hills, and the time i spent with THE THING, I'd say it was a decent ride today. CLICK HERE to see where those miles went.

1 comment: