Sunday, May 3, 2009

His Name was Patton (Day 5)

Getting closer to the Arizona border... should be there tomorrow! After about 30 miles of uphill cycling, I went to the Patton Museum to relax and learn. While there, I chatted with a bunch of the volunteers about the museum and southeast California. They gave me the lowdown of what to see and do when I get to the town of Blythe tomorrow. "There's a bowling alley" one big guy eagerly said.

He was quickly corrected by his coworker, a young mousy lady behind the counter. "Naw, they shut that down last year," she bellowed back at him. The big guy then shrugged, having no alternate suggestions. I then left the museum to bike another 20 miles to a cafe in Desert Center for a chicken-fried steak dinner.



Considering I had a big hill at the beginning of the day, I made decent progress on this fifth day. I biked a little over 60 miles -- making my total so far just over 222 miles. CLICK HERE to see all the exciting details.

5 comments:

  1. I am completely anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, your trip inspires the American people. Michelle and I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. go cat go! i still got papers to write, so this is short and sweet. glad to hear you got re-wheeled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark,
    I'm the overly helpful, yet not-so-much librarian from Chandler. :-) It was nice meeting you. Did you ever find the famous Tumbleweed? Was it as underwhelming as you anticipated?
    Good luck with your trip! Look forward to seeing updates. . .
    Deidre

    ReplyDelete