Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Grand Canyon State (Day 7)

I am finally in ARIZONA! I thought I'd never get here! Hooray for me!

After crossing the border, I had another substantial hill to climb -- not as bad as the Patton Museum lady indicated, but it gave me a decent workout.



After passing through the town of Quartzsite, my plan was to get off of I-10 and veer north onto Route 60, mainly because there looked like there were no services for 90 miles on I-10. However, after my friend Andy did a little internet search, we learned that there was one small gas station about 30 miles from Quartzsite (on Vicksburg Rd.) and then another gas station about 50 miles from there. So, I figured I could handle 50 miles without any services.

One bad thing was that when I called the gas station on Vickburg Road, the lady there said that their place was 5 to 10 miles south of the Interstate. (That meant another 10-20 miles tacked onto this leg of my biking trip.) When I asked her whether there were any other services closer to the highway, she categorically and cheerfully said "no." This news depressed me, until I reached the Vicksburg exit and discovered that she was flat-out lying. There were two gas stations, a mini-mart and a cafe, all within a few hundred yards of the exit. I cheered aloud -- HOORAY! -- until I discovered a small candy bar cost $1.09 -- BOO!


After biking nearly 60 miles, I camped at the top of a small hill in the desert. CLICK HERE FOR MAP DETAILS.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there - I e-mailed the link to your blog to my brother who was stationed in Arizona w/the Air Force for awhile. He suggested you get off I10 for a more interesting ride. Then he added, rather cryptically: " If he stays on I10, he will pass through Phoenix. Good luck with that!"

    I asked him what's up with Phoenix...he hasn't answered me yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think Arizona folks think
    phoenix is some crazy, scary city full of criminals. They obviously haven't ever been to Phily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey man that is awesome you are biking. how far you going? i always wanted to do the country by bike. you enjoying it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. snevy -- Either El Paso or Fort Worth, TX.

    ReplyDelete