Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cycling to See Ostriches (Day 13)

Well, it's good to be out of the Phoenix area and back on the open road. It's been pretty flat and you can really lean into those pedals and go, go, go!

The highlight of the day most certainly had to be Rooster Cogburn's Ostrich Ranch. I highly recommend stopping by if you find yourself on I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson. For 5 bucks you can get really get up and close with the massive birds.

Next to the emu, the ostrich is my favorite flightless bird. Ostriches are the largest living birds in the world and can run at speeds of up to 40 MPH. Plus, they can live to be 50 to 75 years old.



After leaving Cogburn's, I relaxed at a nearby DQ where I met a cool couple on their way back from camping in the Coronado National Forest. We talked about my walk across the US, my biking trip, and other adventures. The guy told me about his brother-in-law who kayaked from Vancouver to Alaska and how a pair of legally-blind friends want to cycle across the USA on a tandem bike. I guess that would be a case of the blind leading the blind.



I cycled a little over 60 miles today. I was able to crank out the miles after I left the DQ by the ostrich farm. I did nearly 17 miles in just one hour. It helped that I had a nice, smooth frontage road to cycle on with little bumps and very few cars. CLICK HERE to see where I have gone.

5 comments:

  1. This was great. Go Rooster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mark!  I am so proud of you! Thanks for the entertainment--and keep up the good work.  I like that you are living life and creatively sharing it.  I will try to follow as closely as I can and send out to "the Geneseo princesses" (a private facebook group who would all be interested in following you--all my bridesmaids from Geneseo, basically).  lots of love, Erinna 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it because Purchasing orchids can be very simple.Many local grocery stores sell the moth orchids already potted and ready to go home with you.Plant nurseries sell many versions of orchids and they can also tell you the best ways to care for your orchids.Although these are the most common orchid types,they come in numerous colors and shapes and add beauty to any home.
    ostrich farm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it because Purchasing orchids can be very simple.Many local grocery stores sell the moth orchids already potted and ready to go home with you.Plant nurseries sell many versions of orchids and they can also tell you the best ways to care for your orchids.Although these are the most common orchid types,they come in numerous colors and shapes and add beauty to any home.
    ostrich farm

    ReplyDelete