Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Still Cycling (Day 6)

After a good 60-mile ride yesterday, I managed to get in some decent miles again today, making it to the town of Blythe -- my last stop in California! After discovering another flat tire on my rear trailer, I had to mend my tube in the middle of the desert under the blazing sun. (I uttered many curses into the sky.)

While cycling on Interstate-10, I passed the same State Trooper three times as he was pulling cars and buses over left and right (well, only on the right). This meant every time I had to pass them, I had to veer onto an actual highway lane... which is dane-jer-us!



While lounging at a Starbucks in Blythe, I was approached by a fellow cyclist -- a German man named Hans, who is cycling all the way from Los Angeles to Boston. I was mighty impressed. And even though I just got through walking across the US, I have to admit, I felt like a wimp next to this clearly virile and healthy man. Even though his blog is mostly in German, you should CHECK IT OUT, for the cool pictures alone. This is what he had to say about our encounter:
Allerdings machte mir die die Fahrt durch die Wueste bei der Hitze zum Ende hin schwer zu schaffen und ich war froh mein Ziel um 15 Uhr erreicht zu haben. Bei Starbucks traf ich noch Mark (The walking fool ) der im letzten Jahr Coast to Coast zu Fuss bewaeltigt hatte. siehe : www.walkingfool.com




I did a little under 40 miles today -- CLICK HERE for map action!

3 comments:

  1. Was it weird meeting your future self? At least we know that in the future your facial hair will devolve into a nicely kept mustache, but somehow you will also have developed a strange German accent...

    BTW - I'm very impressed you're doing this. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hans looks like he could kick your behind in a cycling race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very special Lie to Me airs tonight at 7 (Tucson time) on Fox.

    ReplyDelete